Oh my god, you guys, I saw The Avengers again today and it was just as good as the first time!!! This time, I thought I would take notes on why it was so awesome (and also to learn a bit at the movie knee of Joss) but that kind of stopped about twenty minutes into the movie. Because I got distracted. BY THE AWESOME.
So, I’m going to detail my twenty minutes worth of notes below the jump. Potential spoilers, peeps. Click away ONLY if you’ve ALREADY SUCCUMBED TO THE AWESOME
Anyhoo. Here’s my abortive notes:
* Within ten minutes of the film’s start, Loki (who will be playing the part of our bad guy this evening) takes out a squad of gun-toting military dudes in 3.2 seconds, thus immediately screaming to the audience “This guy is super powerful and why are you stupid peasants threatening him with guns?? RUN. RUN MIGHTILY, PREFERABLY IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!”
* The jeopardy and the stakes are set out magnificently, again in the first ten minutes. A whole military base, a division of S.H.I.E.L.D, implodes and is destroyed utterly while our S.H.I.E.L.D agents look on in horror. This is not your grandmother’s world threat, kiddies.
* Who’s going to defend our world, Samuel L Jackson asks with his steely one-eyed gaze? BAM! Title card! Why, THE AVENGERS, of course!
* The pacing is wonderful. MASSIVE HUGE EXCITING CHASE SCENES WITH HELICOPTERS CRASHING AND MILITARY BASES IMPLODING…followed by a little girl running through an Indian slum.
* Show, don’t tell. The audience is shown the might/scariness/bad-assery of a character and situation through the other characters’ reactions. Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow is a super spy because even though she’s trussed up and outnumbered, she still takes out the bad dudes and extracts herself from that situation in 12-15 ninja moves. Thus, when she is petrified of Bruce Banner/Hulk, we know he’s fricking terrifying.
* …and this is where I got distracted by how fantastic this movie is.
Kids, go see this movie again (because if you’re here, I hope its because you’ve already seen it!).
Please? For me?